Saturday, July 10, 2010


Redux

As many of you know. I humourously refer to the Tim Horton's in Bullfrog Mall as my office. I try to make it up there to sit and have a coffee as often as I can. This is most especially true on days when I would rather not move, just stay under the covers doing William S. Burroughs (sans addiction of course) and zone out in front of the tv.
I meet some remarkable people in my office, none more memorable than Big Bob and his wife Rene. Bob is a millwright by trade though he's retired now. Rene worked on the line at the same local factory for 31 tears.


Bob is dying of cancer; it's terminal so there is nothing to be done for it. Bob was released from St. Jo's a couple of months back. He stays as comfortable as he can. Bob looks good; he has lost a great deal of weight and he has a little trouble getting around but it does not stop him from getting out. Bob and Rene are in for a cup of tea almosty everyday. They drink their tea and bullshit just like the rest of the hardcore regulars including me. Rene plays those damned scratch away crossword puzzle games. Still waiting to break the big one like anyone else.

I am glad everytime I meet Bob and Rene. When I was younger I wondered how and why strangers like these were put in my life. Now I understand, I think. I look forward to chance encounters when they are accorded me and I am truly grateful for them every time. Life is short, death is long, whether death is an end or not.

So to the tune of 'Salt of the Earth' by the Stones, "lets' drink to the hard working people" who make the world turn; they always have and they always will.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLsQ2CJQU8U&feature=related

1 comment: