Sunday, May 16, 2010

I believe every face, on the earth is beautiful. Every last one of them. What happens? And why? What happens when I hold a camera between myself and a subject? Why does the subject recoil? Is it me? Is it the camera? Is it them? Why are adults self-conscious about themselves? Children are not self-conscious. We think we understand why a camera in public is such a weapon; we grant it that power. More's the pity. Think, and I mean really think, about all the wonderful beautiful faces which would be recorded. Then make no mistake. Every face in the whole of creation has beauty therein. It is the viewer, the one with all the baggage and stereotypes (gaze) who has much to overcome before the beauty can be seen . . . .

1 comment:

  1. I think of not only all the wonderful beautiful faces which would be recorded, but all the wonderful and beautiful stories that would be told.

    Some of my most favourite sessions so far were with seniors for my sis-in-laws new business, because of the fantastic opportunities to sit and listen to some amazingly wonderful stories from real people.

    ReplyDelete