Sunday, February 28, 2010



Pretend to forget.
I hate middle-age. I hate the way you can no longer deny the feeling that you are falling apart.

I also hate taking medication. The meds make a mighty contribution to my middle-age melanchoy.
Most of all I hate the memory loss related to both that I experience.

It prevents me from working at a pace anywhere close to that of the little automaton I once was. Many would say this is a good thing. Odds are I will live longer. This may be especially true if I quit smoking.
The memory loss is so significant, though, that I cannot even read a book. I tend to forget what was on the last page, never mind what I read yesterday or earlier today.

I forget where I set down a camera part or a prop and find it two weeks later.
I forget grocery lists and come home with doubles of stuff and nothing that I really needed.
I forget to call my mother which really bothers me.
The old saw about forgetting why you got up and came into a room becomes commonplace.
I have not forgotten where I live, yet, Who's to say I would remember even if I did?

As far as shooting goes, I take pictures and if I do not process them immediately I must rely on the memory of a friend to tell me where they were taken. Honestly. A roll from last weekend? Pretty tough to guarantee anything. Two weeks ago? Forget it. If I don't make a note somewhere I am screwed.

I also forgot to tag the back of my film bodies for the first couple of rolls I ran through different setups.
Hence the two examples below and one posted on 'The Moment.'

I really do intend to move towards a freer mode of expression it's true. Some non-standard processing solutions for B&W, and some manipulations of old Polaroid stock sound like fun to me. Some paper maché models and props for images are high on the list. I have already begin that process right?

Perhaps I was not expecting any huge creative change to land upon me too quickly. The 'accidents' I am working my way through here constitute instant change if I regard them seriously. Why wouldn't I? They are interesting.

Mind you, I could achieve results akin to these shots anytime I like. I could simply pretend to forget what film is in the camera and open the back for a quick second to have a look. I would only lose a few frames and the 'accidents' that remain would be similar to what I have here. Bravo.


FED2 accident III - Kodak Gold 200


FED2 accident III - Kodak Gold 200




No comments:

Post a Comment