Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I made no new images today. Somewhat unusual but not a first for me.

Rather I spent the afternoon listening to a new TV station I found while I worked on the latest mask. I have purposely not given anything away regarding this current offering. Should be completed in a day or two.


The new TV station (for me) is AUX TV. It's great. It seems to be a Canadian station devoted to independent music with an emphasis on exposing new/er Canadian acts.

http://www.aux.tv/

They have a play list of sorts. Who doesn't do it that way nowadays? Kinda reminds of CHUM 1050 when I was a kid. My current favourite video/tune amongst several is called 'The Northern' by a band name Alexisonfire, that's 'Alexis,' not 'Alex is.' Damned if this is not a garage band originally from St. Catherines.

Reading their wee bio tells me they have paid their dues over the past 7-8 years. They've done the 'living out of a van traipsing back and forth across North America playing every lousy shit-hole in existence humping their own equipment in and out' routine. This is a band that has matured musically the way they should during all this time together. They will break big soon. No shred of a garage band left in this well tempered carefully produced recording.


The sound is a combo of different influences. Death metal, punk, neo-prog, there are even some classic rock influences in there, especially the overloaded Hammond, a la Jon Lord, seeping in and out of the tune ('classic' is what the corporations have been calling my music for a while now, whatever). Doesn't hurt that the video rawks too.

Most people my age would likely find this stuff abhorrent. When I am 'in the zone' working on something I like this kind of loud, edgy, in your face music a great deal. It's about the energy I think.

Anyhow, new mask coming and check out AUX TV if you are at all into indie music and don't already know about this station. Of course anyone under 35 who is even moderately hip will be thinking "DU-UH!!"

I have the secret though; I know we really do grow wiser with age. It takes a little longer to get places but we don't waste energy landing on the wrong address two or three times before we get there. Does that make any sense in this context?

Who cares? Never mind. If you like loud music once in a while AUX is great. They have other quieter saner programming too but I like the loud stuff when I am working on projects. That is all.





(Stole that last from a young friend of mine who sez 'o' instead of 'oh.' At least she used to do).

1 comment:

  1. Ha, yeah Alexisonfire is pretty harsh stuff. I've never really been able to get into them... maybe I'm getting old :-(

    ReplyDelete