Friday, March 12, 2010

'Twas a damp, grey drizzly kind of day today. We'll be paying for the sunshine now for a few days I would imagine. Nonetheless I had errands to do up at the corner so off I went.

Lesson for the day learned through years of experience butting my head up against this particular wall.
I know, now, that if you are patient and wait anywhere long enough, be it in a forest or on a city street, an image will come to you. You don't have to go searching for pictures, they will find you if you are listening and watching carefully.

I stood outside Zellers today for a good five minutes staring down the sidewalk towards the entrance to Zehrs. I have always liked such symmetry so I watched, even though I knew I would not photograph the scene just for its own sake. The sequence below took place as I was about to move along into Zehrs. I am glad I waited that extra minute or two.

Young lad comes out of Zehrs, grabs a piece of wall, and sparks a cigarette. I assumed he was waiting for someone to come out of Zehrs after him. This happens quite often, I see young husbands and boyfriends come out for a cigarette when they can't stand being in the grocery store a minute longer.

I admit that I did it myself when I was young and impatient with the world. I hated shopping for anything in those days. Ironic because I love shopping for food nowadays. I still cannot stand the malls like Stone Road but I love shopping for food.

This young guy was not what I really wanted as a subject in this setting, He was too far away and planted along the wall; I wanted some motion or energy. I snapped off a frame of him in my scene anyhow. It was a good thing I did.



Because directly afterwards, the sort of subject I had envisoned came rolling along behind me, moving briskly past my right shoulder. I was ready and I grabbed my shot. Even as I was taking the first picture I realised the lad was giving the young woman a good long look. Hell who am I kidding? He was gawking.


It's just obvious here, but he has his hand in his jeans pocket. He is fishing for his cell phone but he can't take his eyes off the girl. Once the young woman realised she had his full attention, she absolutely swung and switched as she moved on by. It was a terrific sequence to watch, the silent exchange between the two was like a dance (again, I seem to be seeing a lot of dancing lately). Ahhh spring, hormones, nature at its best.


I changed my mind completely at this point. I don't have a fourth image but it became obvious that he was talking to a friend on the phone. The gestures and body language made this plain. I have no idea who he might have been waiting on in Zehrs, but I doubt that it was his wife or girlfriend. I lay even money on the possibility that he was talking to either of them on the phone . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment